4 CREATIVE SWAPS FOR YOUR TOUGHEST CRAVINGS
One of the challenges of following a healthy eating plan is working through your cravings. While some of us crave sugary drinks and desserts, others crave salty or starchy snacks. But there’s no need to let those temporary urges derail your progress. Try these 4 creative swaps for your toughest cravings and you’ll cruise right on by those rough patches like a pro.
1. Craving: Apple pie ala mode
Sometimes our cravings are as much about temperature and texture as they are about the flavours themselves. Here’s a great alternative to apple pie and ice cream that covers all the bases.
Apple Pie Ala Mode Parfait
- 1/2 apple, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cuo water
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup fat free vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup Muesli
- Place the apples and water in a microwave safe bowl and microwave 30 seconds at a time until the apples are crisp tender. Drain and cool slightly.
- Stir in the cinnamon and granola and spoon mixture atop the yogurt. Enjoy!
2. Craving: Fruity margarita
If you’re craving a cocktail, try this watermelon margarita mocktail instead. You’ll love the flavors and won’t miss the alcohol.
- 1-1/2 cup watermelon, cubed with seeds removed
- 1 TBS lime juice
- 1 cup ice
- Place all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Enjoy!
3. Craving: Pizza
Try this healthy version of pizza to help satisfy your craving without extra carbs and calories.
Chicken, Spinach & Feta Pizza
- 115g chicken breast(s)
- ¼ cup marinara Sauce
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves
- ¼ cup low fat feta cheese
- 8 Calamata olives - pitted
- ¼ Red Onion
- 1 Slimmer’s Choice wrap
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grill chicken to desired degree of doneness.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Place wrap on foil. Spread marinara sauce evenly on wrap. Top with spinach leaves, chopped red onion, sliced olives, grilled chicken and feta.
- Bake in oven for about 15 minutes or until crust is crispy.
Chef's tip- for a crispier crust, place wrap directly onto oven rack.
4. Craving: Potato Chips
This baked kale chip recipe may become your new go-to salty craving crusher.
- 1 bunch fresh kale, thoroughly washed and dried
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. mixed herbs/salt substitute
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Remove kale leaves from stems and tear into bite-sized pieces.
- Spread in a single layer on baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil.
- Sprinkle with the seasoning and bake for about 10 minutes until kale is crispy and edges are slightly brown. Enjoy!